The laboratory

A.J. Kluyver as Rector Magnificus of the University.

In 1912, 9 years before Beijerinck retired, a new wing (below) was built onto the Laboratory for Microbiology. This extension greatly enlarged the available laboratory area, and also made room for a reasonably extensive library.

During the week before the old laboratory was closed for the move to the current location, it was extensively photographed, so we can see how it was used during Kluyver's Professorship. Some areas, such as the lecture theatre do not seem to have changed much, but others such as Beijerinck's private laboratory changed very much indeed!

 

© 2017 TU Delft

Metamenu